Wednesday 15 April 2009

Milano to Genova

Good sleep, woke to near silence from the wild animals, although still a few faint rumblings to assure me that the world hadn't ended.

Later discovered that the chief-expectorator was my Cashmere-e friend - he was in the cubicle next to me showering (i.e. the cubicle adjacent to mine - we weren't that friendly...) and sounded like he was trying to 'cough up' a lung through his right nostril.

After that torment I was then kicked out of the room early by the cleaners despite my insistence that they were early (which they were, did I mention that?) and walked to the station with Cashmere Man (TM).

Arrived at Genova after picturesque train ride through tunnels (the joy of darkness) and out into mountains and hillside towns. The guidebook gave me the qwrong directions to my hostel so I got off the bus at completely the wrong time, but I asked a girl in Italian what was going on and she directed me to the right bus which I just about got on. It was crammed full and with my sunstantial luggae, the slightest movement sent ripples down the bus resulting in hard stares for the locals. But it'll take more than that to stop me, oh yes. (OK, stop kicking me in the shins you bunch of miserable so and sos - I give in.)

Spoke Italian perfectly at the hostel reception after some Chinese chaps before me had no clue but the receptionist automatically switched to English. How dare she. Supposedly she wanted to practice, not that she needed it. Maybe some manners and understanding wouldn't go amiss but the English was perfectly understandable.

I ask you eh, I don't know. Oh Arthur...

Opted for the cheap 'home-cooked' food offered at the hostel 'restaurant' but was somewhat more than disappointed to find that it was hard, dry, microwaved pasta with a pesto sauce (ok the sauce wasn't too bad) and a sald drowned in vinegar and oil.

Welcome to Genova!

No comments:

Post a Comment